Monday 25 July 2011

I SEE SOUNDS

I read about this really inspiring collaboration in ELLE. Liberty of London, a company who's heritage lies in fabric, have collaborated with Musicians and the Artists of album cover artwork, as well as drawing inspiration from lyrics and movements within music, to curate a new collection of fabrics entitled Liberty Rocks. My favourite thing about this collaboration is the diversity of the entities which it draws together, surface pattern and music, it makes me strives to think outside of the box when considering collaborations I might use for future projects.

Here are a few of my favourites:


By John Squire of The Stone Roses
A great geometric surface pattern which reminds me of 1950's Americana Kitchens and Diners as well as Catch Me If You Can (2002) a great film, but I love the title sequence equally, it's by Kuntzel and Deygas but screams the archetypal style of Graphic Design legend Saul Bass.


By Storm Thorgerson, creator of the artwork for Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd.
A fantastic interpretation of the original and icon artwork, both psychedelic and geometric.


By Swedish Singer Emilia de Poret
And inspired by microphone heads and glitter balls.


By Edwyn Collins of Orange Juice (if you like The Drums check them out, O.J are one of the bands biggest inspirations).
This is perhaps my favourite surface pattern because of the story behind it. The pattern is a collection of sketched birdswhich Collin's drew, one each day for six months, while recovering from a cerebral haemorrhage. The print features the names of each bird along with the date on which they were drawn, Liberty sites this creation as an homage to Collin's dedication. I wholeheartedly agree and think this is utterly beautiful while evoking a sense of true loneliness.

Read and see more 'ERE

No comments:

Post a Comment