Monday 3 October 2011

LONDON FASHION WEEK

To London, the fashion week which I cannot help but love because of course it is the host of the British designers which we as a nation can be proud of. This year I felt an extra connection to the British Fashion Council proceedings as I attended for the first time on Saturday and Sunday, I managed to land an internship with Vodafone as they were filming and photographing for up coming promotions in association with Jaeger. The atmosphere at Somerset House was truly electric, perhaps due to half of the blogosphere milling around with cameras and carefully crafted outfits, Susie Bubble scuttled past me numerous times while Facehunter ordered commands at an assistant whilst snapping shots of a chosen few . True, wow moment came when I spotted Hilary Alexander, Zandra Rhodes and Anna Della Russo (who became stranded by her own YSL wedges mid way down the cobbled slope which led to the BFC Showspace) but the ultimate F-ROWer spot was Alexandra Shulman, editor of UK Vogue.

Unfortunately I didn’t manage to catch any shows from inside the Show Space, by the time I noted the queue of pass-less hopefuls edging inside to fill the last remaining spaces it was time for me to meet the team I would be working alongside for Vodafone.

To the shows;

Ashish
Ostensibly a designer who sticks to using one textile again and again should become boring, quickly, right?! It’s just not the case with Ashish and his use of sequins, each collection is truely new and fresh and I think this is my favourite from him thus far. Firstly, the styling the show, namely the boots filled with poseys was so innovative and worked fantastically alongside the bolder sequin formed floral offerings. Again a look to Van Gough (as seen at Rodarte), sunflowers along with poppies formed the main reference within the collection, the addition of zoo prints, brick wall blocks and denim add a fresh and summery vibe to the collection. 

 Burberry Prorsum
I must admit, I have to double check the season of the collection when viewed Burberry Prorsum’s looks for the first time, it seemed very, well coaty?! But realistically as I sat there shivering in September, Burberry’s collection is a true representation of what British women need to wear during Spring and Summer, a lightweight parker or printed bomber makes a far chicer statement that the summer dress, tights and cardigan ensemble adopted by many over the ‘summer’ months. Not one of my favourite Burberry collections but certainly notable in terms of the statement they have made. 

Danielle Scutt
Perhaps due to her collection with Topshop on a bold and attention grabbing jewellery line I expect a truly theatrical and un-wearable yet fun collection for Danielle Scutt, yet when viewing her collection I was pleasantly surprised. The collection featured a modest colour palette of black, white, denim blue and the occasional pop of warmed citrus shades. I adore the long braced skirts, in block fabric and beading, they’re a great relaxed option for summer daytime dressing. The collection merges street style with polished pieces effortlessly and I will certainly be keeping a closer eye on Danielle Scutt and hoping for a extension of her collaboration with Topshop into clothing.

Felder Felder
I fell in love with the German sisters after seeing their last collection and was far too over excited as I waited for the show report to load for Spring/Summer. I adore the metallic pale blue but am not as sure about the seemingly mismatched apricot shade. Amazing power pieces though, as expected from Felder Felder with great body harnessing details and strong necklines in contrast to a more feminine use of sheer opacities and pattern. True backstage girl groupie style and I love it.

 Giles
I had to share this collection. It’s totally Giles and feel I only need to type two words to cum up the mood of the show; Black Swan. The shades are my favourite shape of the season so far too, some really great start out pieces despite the theatricality of the show.
House Of Holland
Of HOH, I want to adore sleek and minimal designers but I cannot help but fall for the charm of Henry Holland season after season. This collection is so up my street, the pastel washes snake print, denim, fishnet, sheer, collars...ankle socks. A great collection which manages to make pastel seem feasible to me, when up until now it had churned my stomach. Holland drew inspiration from punks while maintaining the true East London girl vibe he champions so well, expect to see the likes of Jaime Winston and Pixie Geldoff rocking the Princess Sex Pistol look next Spring.

Mulberry
A great youthful vibe at Mulberry for next season, lemon yellows and sporty separates seem perfect for Spring. A highlights for me is the gold jogging suit, it seems so young and lounge worthy yet wouldn’t be out of place in the luxury bowels of Westfield, shopping centres may just have to rethink their policy on hoodies. Whilst the hair, by Sam McKnight, is said to inspired by the Blackpool seaside windswept look, streaked with candy floss, I immediately saw the influence of Amy Winehouse. A fitting tribute in a collection with screams London girl escapism.


Topshop Unique
If I thought I was excited for Felder Felder, Topshop Unique superseded my excitement tenfold. Again I totally fell in love with, and again the collection played homage to  a fallen star, Elizabeth Taylor, as Cleopatra. I bet you wouldn’t believe me if I said I had a feeling about an air of ancient Egypt in the fashion ether but my sheer hieroglyphic pattern shirt says otherwise (I’ll pop up a photo soon). Great coloured metallics again and a strong sportswear vibe, the collection screams youth and 1990’s street influence. The graphic elements of the collection are a personal high point, with the aforementioned Elizabeth Taylor adornment alongside the Evil Eye, Scarab Beetles and graffiti-esque hieroglyphics.  Perhaps a more brash offering from Topshop Unique than previously seen, the collection seems to have missed the mark amongst a few of my peers  but I’m going to start saving now for a slice.   



So the fabulous capital offered up, Metallics, more Pastels, Ancient Egypt, 1990’s Street Wear, Animal Prints, Van Gough and English Weather Essentials. A great LFW.



No comments:

Post a Comment